Wednesday 13 November 2013

Like a little child...

Yesterday I (Rachel, volunteer with BYFC) was sorting through some video recording devices, and managed to download some of the previously recorded videos. I haven't yet found out who filmed them, or when, but I enjoyed going through one by one and watching them on the computer.

Suddenly, I came across one filmed in the church in Cibitoke. I enjoyed watching the joyful music and singing, but my eye was drawn to a kid with blue shorts standing in the front row.


If you've not seen the video, you can view it on our Facebook page (posted 12th November 2013)

All the kids were singing and clapping, but this little chap was really enjoying himself. Jumping, clapping, spinning round, waving his arms in the air; his joy and enthusiasm is contagious. He wasn't restricted by what other people around him were doing, nor was he caught up in worrying what people would think of his dancing. He just danced; for him and for his Father in Heaven.

I watched the film several times, a smile spreading across my face. I found myself almost wistful, wishing I could be that free to worship God without worrying about anything. (I'm British, our reputation for being reserved is pretty accurate!) 
I suddenly remembered the words of the Bible verse, "like a little child"

"14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them,“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them."

Mark 10:14-16


I did a quick search through the Gospels, and you can find the same section in Matthew and Luke, it's in the Bible three times.
Now I don't know about you, but if someone tells me something three times, I know it must be important.
It's like when I was a child and my mother asked me to do a chore. The first request, I might be able to get away with pretending I hadn't heard. Second request required an acknowledgement like calling "Coming!" down the stairs. By the third request, I knew I had to get downstairs instantly or there would be trouble!
This must be an important message he's trying to teach us.

I think God can teach us a lot through children about loving and worshipping him. As we get older we make our lives so much more complicated, it's important to remind ourselves of the simple essence of our faith, a Father who loves us and wants us to enjoy spending time with him. Here with Burundi Youth for Christ, we are privileged to be able to work with children and young people, and it's amazing what they can teach us.

I don't know if I'll be dancing in church this Sunday... maybe...
But my prayer today is that God will help us to strip through our man-made reservations and become more like the child in the video, worshipping God with all our hearts, souls, minds and strength.
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment